Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employment, education and training

Blackcloud
Senior Contributor

Why is applying for jobs so hard….

So recently I’ve been actively on the hunt for jobs even though I’m currently on DSP (one of the Centrelink payments). The first job that I’ve found on the company’s website that I have expressed interest in, have applied for it through the application as well as emailing my resume to the HR manager. Got no response. Sent them a follow up email a week later (which was last week) after I applied, still got no response. I sent them a follow up email again (2 days ago) the week after I sent my first follow up email, still no response.

In the meantime, I have also applied for other jobs too and even though I’ve emailed my resume to various HR managers or have applied for those jobs through the websites, I’m still yet to hear back from any of them…

why do they make applying for jobs so difficult?? Especially when none of them would ever get back to you after you’ve applied and even after you’ve sent follow up emails too……

I want to cry 😭😭😭😭😭

if anyone wants to know, the jobs I want to do are mainly the back of house roles. There’s no way I’m gonna go for the front of house/customer facing roles lol

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Why is applying for jobs so hard….

Hey @Blackcloud ,

Good on you for persisting! I totally agree with you about jobs. I used to always say to people that looking for a job is a full time job in itself! I find it takes as much, if not more, energy than actually working.

I'm really so impressed to hear that you still applying. Kudos to you!

Also, to help myself feel better, if I don't get a job, I tell myself it's better they screened me out early than wait until I started and then tell me I wasn't a good fit.

Have you had anyone look over your CV/resume? 

On top of that though, I’ve booked for a forklift license + order picking courses/classes that I’m gonna attend to for next week and the week after, so wish me luck on that. 🤞 

I have also been thinking of taking some driving lessons as well, but I do know that I have to take a learner’s permit test first before I obtain it and then potentially start doing some driving lessons after that 

Hi Blackcloud

It's a really long time since I applied for a job. But going by my family and friends' recent experiences: the modern process of online applications and emails makes applying and following up more accessible. So they all get far too many applications and emails to reply to

It's a different world now

Nice @Blackcloud ,

Sounds like you are a bit of a go-getter 🙂

All the best with it. I look forward to hearing how it all goes.

Thank you @tyme haha, if it’s something that I know that I have to do then I know I have to start doing it sooner rather than later, even it’s not really something I’m looking forward to. 😅 

@Blackcloud I hope chance finds you. That you randomly walk into a place, get into a conversation with a stranger and out of nowhere a job finds you.

G

How are you today @Blackcloud ?

hi @Blackcloud 

Just wondering whether you've thought about connecting with a disability job network provider? 

Another idea for your cv is to try using the app Chat GPT. It is so quick and pulls a lot of up-to-date info. You can save a position description for each job you're interested in and upload it to the app, along with your resume. Ask it to write you a resume to suit the position description, to change the tone in your resume, to adjust a section to be more 'personable' etc. It's really handy! 

Hi @tyme not feeling great. Been having some thoughts lately about nobody liking me. Plus, I don’t even believe in myself. 🥲 

I am starting uni in 10 days so that’s kinda nice I guess, although I don’t know how well I’m gonna do in my course despite always having these kinds of thoughts and feelings. I’m studying part time which is great. 

Also, I think regarding looking for jobs, I was thinking of looking into a recruitment agency for that since it seems like being registered under a recruitment agency is the only and easier way for me to go because from what I’ve read about recruitment agencies in general, they do so much on your behalf (like being connected with companies that are looking for candidates and referring you to those companies and whatnot) rather than you having to apply for jobs via your resume and cover letter and having to go for a job interview yourself. I won’t do that now though, but I’ll do it whenever I can. 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

For urgent assistance

Lifeline Macarthur

Contact Us