Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Events and updates

tyme
Community Lead

Peer Group Chat // Shedding The Shackles of Shame // Thursday 12th September 2024, 7-8:30PM AEST

On Thursday 12th September 2024, we will be holding a Peer Group Chat on the topic of Shedding the Shackles of Shame.
Screenshot 2024-09-11 at 8.46.34 PM.png

We've all experienced shame at some point or another. This shame can have prolonged effects. Let's meet together to chat about ways we can move forward, Shedding the Shackles of Shame.

The event start times across Australia are below:

tyme_1-1726051420738.png

This is currently held in Australian Eastern Standard hours:

WA: 5pm

NT: 6:30pm

SA: 6:30pm 

QLD: 7pm

NSW, ACT, VIC & TAS: 7pm 

For anyone unfamiliar with Peer Group Chats, each focuses on a specific topic and is guided by Peer Workers with lived experience of mental health issues and recovery. During these chats, a moderator is present to ensure a safe environment for individuals and the group. It is a space for us as peers to share our stories and experiences, and connect with those who are going through something similar. 

Peer Group Chats are hosted outside of the forums, using a platform called Chatwee. To join an Online Peer Group Chat, you will need to register for an account with Chatwee. On the night, follow this link and log in to your Chatwee account before the group starts.

Please see this FAQ for any questions you may have. For any issues on the night, please message the moderator of the group on the Chat platform. If you'd like to receive a reminder closer to the event, please support this post & we'll keep you updated.

@Squishy @Shaz51 @Snowie @Captain24 @Oaktree @Glisten @Rockdog @WildFlower1 @Spritely @Alonely @7cough9 @Andarna @MessyGirl @Healandlove @Who-Knows @monket @BaggyJeans @Jacques @ChouxieChou @Ainjoule

@Patches59 @Loner57 

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Peer Group Chat // Shedding The Shackles of Shame // Thursday 12th September 2024, 7-8:30PM AEST

@tyme 

You might want to edit your post and change the 5th to the 12th

Re: Peer Group Chat // Shedding The Shackles of Shame // Thursday 12th September 2024, 7-8:30PM AEST

Thanks for the pick up @Oaktree !

@Oaktree wrote:

You might want to edit your post and change the 5th to the 12th

That was a test to see if you were paying attention 😁

I wont be able to make it tomorrow either... support group meeting.  Thursday evenings seem really popular for support groups here.  So i don't get to do many of the Thursday chats which sucks because I really enjoy the Sunday ones.  When my aging and befuddled mind remembers 😴🤔  Have a great chat. 

Hmmm... maybe I can train an AI to fill in for me....  If I do turn up saying I'm me, don't trust it! 😄

@tyme I wish I could be there but my daughter and son in law are competing in the Tarmac Race event, 15 minutes away.

First time she has ever navigated in a racing event - no pressure 😱

@moderator all identifying information has been removed from the photo 😇

G

IMG_3729.jpeg

Hi All,

Shedding the Shackles of Shame

We will start in about 30 mins.

For anyone unfamiliar with Peer Group Chats, each focuses on a specific topic and is guided by Peer Workers with lived experience of mental health issues and recovery. During these chats, a moderator is present to ensure a safe environment for individuals and the group. It is a space for us as peers to share our stories and experiences, and connect with those who are going through something similar. 

Peer Group Chats are hosted outside of the forums, using a platform called Chatwee. To join an Online Peer Group Chat, you will need to register for an account with Chatwee. On the night, follow this link and log in to your Chatwee account before the group starts.

Please see this FAQ for any questions you may have. For any issues on the night, please message the moderator of the group on the Chat platform. If you'd like to receive a reminder closer to the event, please support this post & we'll keep you updated.

@Andarna @Shaz51 @ENKELI @Captain24 @Oaktree @WildFlower1 @Alonely @Snowie @Loner57 @MessyGirl @chibam @Healandlove @monket @Jacques @Ainjoule @Patches59 @Liearna @The-red-centaur @SquareDott @Sunnyside226 @Max01 @AngO @Patpat @CJ_HD @Toowrite @yellowgreenblue @Carlsberg 

Sorry.. I just can’t do it tonight. @tyme @Jynx 

All good @Captain24 we can only do what we can do. Look after yourself darlin 💜

Thank you to all who joined tonight. What an awesome, wholesome chat! @Glisten @Oaktree @MJG017 @Captain24 @Shaz51 @Alonely @Andarna @cam @Macqua @Snowie @Patches59 @7cough9 @GreyWolf7 

Here are the questions from tonight. Feel free to continue the conversation here:

Q1: How do you define 'shame’? 

Q2: How is shame different to guilt? 

Q3: How does shame show up in our lives? 

Q4: Can shame ever be useful or beneficial? 

Q5: What are some ‘antidotes’ to shame that you have found? 

Q6: Shame can leave us feeling really stuck. How might we begin to unstick ourselves? 

Q7: If we see loved ones stuck in shame, how might we help them ‘shed their shackles’? 

Here are some further resources we recommend having a look at: 

1 Shedding Guilt and Shame: https://lifecareconsultancy.com/shedding-guilt-and-shame/ 

2 Four ways of Shedding Shame: https://valeriejdeady.com/2023/11/17/shedding-shame/ 

3 TED Talk: Brene Brown – Listening to Shame 

https://brenebrown.com/videos/ted-talk-listening-to-shame/ 

Thanks for another peer group chat tonight @tyme, sorry I couldn’t stay the whole time but due to currently dealing with some intense shame, it was harder than last week. Appreciate you all though and special shoutout to @Jynx for being a fab moderator!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

For urgent assistance

Lifeline Macarthur

Contact Us