Skip to main content
Homecarer
New Contributor

welcome message

Hi, I've been looking after my son for 6 years.  Only last year has he been properly diagnosed with Catatonia schizoaffective disorder. My biggest problem is he refuses to attend anything with his treating team.. He sees his Psychiatrist only twice a year and also goes to his GP for scripts. I want him to apply for NDIS so this is another struggle Iam having.  

So my biggest fear is Iam getting older at the moment my son is living a very comfortable life as I provide and do everything for him.  

Regards,

homecarer

2 REPLIES 2

Re: welcome message

Hi @Homecarer ,

Welcome, and thank you for sharing this with us here. Sounds like the important thing at the moment for you is for your son to accept proper treatment and support. We hope someone from our community will be able to provide you with some helpful information. 

Re: welcome message

Hi@Homecarer, welcome to the forum.  It does sound like your son is thinking about the present rather than looking ahead too much.

I have a (sort of) similar issue with my 80 year old mother.  She refuses to register with 'My Aged Care' because she says she's fine at the moment.  That's debatable but that's another issue.  I've had some tentative success by pointing out if she registers now, and gets in their system, she doesn't need to use any services or funding, but it's there right away if something happens or changes and she needs it... she wouldn't need to go through the application and waiting times if something suddenly came up where she needed or wanted it.  It seemed to lower her resistance slightly... i'm still working on it but I just thought a similar tact may help you convince your son.

Best of luck with it.

Lifeline Macarthur

Contact Us